Guys, I’m so sorry. I have completely neglected this blog. I never intended to do that. I re-vamped it, re-named it, had tons of great ideas for it…and then it just fizzled. Well, I shouldn’t blame it, the blog, I should blame myself. I have let it fizzle. I’m just not great at having lots of irons in the fire, and this particular iron has not been quite as important as the others I’ve been juggling lately. Hopefully that will change soon!
We are getting ready to make the big move back to the ol’ U.S. of A. in a couple months, and I have hoarded so much fabric over the past couple years here (because it is SO INEXPENSIVE!!!), I figured maybe it would be a good idea to try and take some orders and cut down on my stash a bit before moving. I put up a little post on Facebook inviting people to place orders and help me de-stash and save some money for moving home, and I was delighted to have several toy, apron and bow-tie orders that very day!
This weekend I’ve been hard at work finishing up the first batch of toys and one of the aprons. Here are four of the toys, which I must say turned out extremely adorable:
It was so nice to make toys again. I’ve been so fixated on garments this past year, and my toy business has kind-of been on the back burner for awhile. I forgot how fun these are to make! That bunny–if I had more of that fabric, I might have to make one for myself. Or River. He picked it up while I was working on it, with a delighted look on his face, and said “My bunny!” So hard to say no to that! Guess I’ll be making a bunny for that little bugger, too.
Today’s big project to finish was an extremely adorable apron, made from vintage Simplicity 1359.
For this apron, I decided to go with version 1. I love the waistband and big pockets on that one. In my opinion, where aprons are concerned, the bigger the pockets the better. We made a trip to Dongdaemun over the weekend and I picked out some very cute medium-weight cotton in a colorful leaf-looking print for the body of the apron and a cute
brown tiny gingham for the contrast.
The only thing I should have done differently (ahem, or shall I say, I should have actually followed the directions on) is the way I sewed the bias binding onto the pockets. The end result turned out great, but the way I did it took waaaaaay longer than it should have. The directions say to sew the bias binding to the wrong side of the pockets, trim seams to 1/4″, fold the binding over the edges, and then top-stitch. I did it the opposite way, and slip-stitched the binding down. Like I said, looks fine, but took way longer.
It was a unique design, and fun to put together! I like how the waistband was sewn on, and how the middle-most end is actually stitched into the dart!
When I first tried it on, I didn’t like the way the bib pooched out on the sides. Then I realized, since this is a one-size-fits-all apron, they designed it that way on purpose to accommodate different sized people. The way the waistband is sewn on, you can easily adjust the sides of the apron to fit you by tucking the excess down before tying. It’s hard to explain, but here are some photos:
The buttons are vintage ones from my collection. They were in a humongous jar of old buttons that I found at an estate sale one time. The buttons are actually supposed to be hidden on the underside of the waistband, but I thought they looked way to cute for that so I put them out the outside instead. The buttonholes were bound using a quick and easy method that is suitable for things such as apron straps, and that I’ve observed in many of the handmade garments I’ve found around here from Korea and Japan (namely shirt dresses and blouses).
I did take a few horrible bathroom selfies wearing the apron to send to the customer, but…well, they are just horrible bathroom selfies. However, in the spirit of transparency (and because my son ran in wearing a Bart Simpson mask yelling “Look Mom, I Bart Simson!” and it was hilarious), I will share them with you, pile of dirty laundry and all.
So that’s what the vintage home sewist has been up to this week! I still have several more toy orders to complete, another apron (this time in a red and white polka dot, version 3!), some headbands and baby bibs, and a couple bow ties to make, so I’ll be pretty busy. But busy doing what I love, so I’m not complaining!